Session 3: Examine Evidence and Refine Your Plan
Outside-of-class meeting | Time: 30-60 minutes
3A: Examine Evidence from Lessons and Revise Plan
Examine student journal entries and read through any notes you jotted down as you were working to strengthen beneficial connections among speaking, listening and writing.
Reflect on (or discuss) the following questions:
- What do you notice in students’ journals, or find in your notes, that connects speaking and listening with writing? For example, does student writing capture ideas students heard during partner talks or class discussion? Do your notes indicate that students used their journals to support presentation of ideas at the board or to peers? Did you notice students draw on each other’s journals or their own prior journal entries?
- What strategies were successful, and what did you find challenging, as you tried to build stronger connections between speaking, listening and writing?
- What strategies would you like to carry with you in your next week of instruction and what refinements, if any, might you make, to enhance benefits to your students?
- What new strategy would you like to test our in the next week?
Feel free to work further on the strategy you have tried and/or to choose a new strategy, depending on what you think will have the greatest pay-off for your own learning and for your students.
3B: Make a Plan for Your Second Round
- Note the specific changes you will try out in your classroom use of journals to further strengthen the connections between speaking, listening and writing
- Note the evidence will you look for to help you assess the impact of your work