Session 3: Examine Evidence and Refine Your Plan
Outside-of-class meeting | Time: 30-60 minutes
3A: Examine Evidence from Lessons and Revise Plan
Examine student journal entries and read through any notes you jotted down as you were working to build students’ reflection on their mathematics learning.
Reflect on (or discuss) the following questions:
- What do you notice in students’ journals related to their reflection on their own mathematics learning? For example, what do you notice about the frequency and quality of reflection and the contexts that elicit it?
- What strategies were successful, and what did you find challenging, as you tried to build students’ habit of reflection on their learning?
- What strategies would you like to carry with you into your next week of instruction, and how would you like to modify these strategies to make them more beneficial for your students (if at all)?
- What new strategy would you like to test our in the next week?
Choose to work further on the strategy you have tried and/or to choose a new strategy, depending on what you think will have the greatest pay-off for your own learning and for your students.
3B: Make a Plan for Your Second Round
- What specific changes do you plan to make in your classroom use of journals to help support your students to reflect on their learning?
- What evidence will you look for to help you assess the impact of your work?