Before teaching and observing the lesson, the team describes context and goals.
Use the following agenda for the pre-lesson discussion:
- Welcome and Introductions (5 min)
- Background and Context of the Lesson (5 min)
The planning team briefly describes the lesson and points out the sections of the Teaching- Learning Plan where observers can learn about the lesson and unit goals, long-term goals, and rationale for the lesson design.
- Silent Reading of Teaching-Learning Plan (15 min)
Participants read the Teaching-Learning Plan. Participants try the lesson task themselves.
- Clarifying Questions (10 min)
The planning team answers any clarifying questions raised by participants, and clarifies what evidence they are asking participants to collect.
- Observation Procedures (5 min)
Team reviews protocol for observing a Research Lesson and identifies students to observe.
The video below shows how one Lesson Study team prepared observers for their lesson.