Whether experienced or new, Lesson Study teams face the challenge of finding high-quality resources to study and leverage into effective research lessons. This course provides full content support for an elementary-grades Lesson Study cycle on fractions.
The course is based on the fractions toolkit used by Lesson Study teams in a randomized controlled trial that significantly increased students’ fractions knowledge. (A research review identified the study as one of only two, of more than 600 studies reviewed, to demonstrate impact on students.)
In this course, you will conduct a full Lesson Study cycle, as you:
- Examine fractions resources—including research, standards, curriculum materials, and lesson videos
- Solve fractions tasks and anticipate student solution methods
- Plan a fractions unit and teach at least one lesson within it as a research lesson
- Observe the research lesson, with a focus on student thinking
- Share and discuss data from the lesson